Your countertops might be holding more than hand towels, soap, or a spice rack. If you don’t know how to disinfect quartz countertops, viruses like COVID-19 could be lurking on the surface! Learn how to properly disinfect your quartz countertops, so that you kill harmful bacteria while keeping your counters looking brand new!
Cleaning vs Disinfecting Quartz Countertops
While wiping food, grease, and other debris from your counters will keep them looking clean, basic cleaning methods won’t properly sanitize the surface. When you disinfect a surface you kill bacteria and viruses such as E.coli, salmonella, influenza, and COVID-19.
Quartz Countertop Disinfectants
Quartz countertops aren’t porous like granite, meaning they hold more germs on the surface for longer periods of time. Your quartz countertops should be sanitized at least once a week to reduce the risk of spreading viruses such as COVID-19. By using certain cleaning products, you can keep your granite countertops spotless, free from viruses and bacteria, and kept in like-new condition.
Popular quartz countertop disinfectants:
- Antibacterial dish soap
- Isopropyl alcohol mixed with water
- Windex and other glass cleaners
These products will kill most bacteria and viruses without damaging your quartz.
Disinfectants that AREN’T Safe for Quartz
Cleaning products with bleach, citric acid, or vinegar will damage your countertops. To avoid causing permanent damage to your quartz surfaces, always avoid cleaning products that are acidic, alkaline, or have bleach. These products can discolor your quartz. If used over time, chemicals that are too acidic or too alkaline will disintegrate the bonds between the resin and quartz materials.
Products to avoid when disinfecting quartz countertops:
- Lemon-scented Lysol
- Clorox with bleach and/or lemon scent
- Nail polish remover
- Products containing bleach or vinegar
- Harsh alkaline or acidic cleaners
How to Disinfect Quartz Countertops
Disinfecting quartz counters is a simple process. After cleaning, either use approved cleaning products, or create your own cleaning solution.
Guide to Disinfecting Quartz
- Step 1: Clear the area.
- Step 2: Clean the surface by removing any liquids, grease, crumbs, or other debris.
- Step 3: Apply your cleaning solution. Always be sure to check the directions and label to ensure that you’re leaving the product on long enough to sanitize the area – but not so long that you damage your countertops!
- Step 4: With a soft sponge or microfiber cloth, wipe the cleaning solution from the counters.
- Step 5: Dry the surface to remove any spots.
One of the easiest ways to disinfect quartz surfaces is by gently scrubbing your counters with antibacterial dish soap mixed with water. This is something you may already have sitting at your sink, making it ultra-convenient. Antibacterial dish soap is simple and it gets the job done without you risking any damage!
Tips for Germ-Free Countertops
- Taking the extra time each week to disinfect your quartz countertops will help reduce the spread of viruses and bacteria.
- To avoid stains and discoloration, you should clean up spills as soon as they happen.
- Keep your quartz countertops dry by buffing them with a microfiber towel after a deep clean.
- Regularly throw away dish sponges and wash any dishcloths or towels in the kitchen or bathroom.
Finally, make sure you take extra precautions if someone near you is sick. Clean and disinfect your common surfaces daily to help stop the spread.
Affordable Granite Showroom
If you have any questions about cleaning products that you’re using on your quartz countertops, contact us today! We can help you choose safe quartz disinfectants for your countertops.
Affordable Granite Concepts has quality quartz countertops for your household and commercial needs. Our bathroom, kitchen, and custom quartz surfaces can be crafted to elevate any home or office. Our stone showrooms in Orlando and Altamonte Springs offer huge selections of natural stone, granite, and quartz countertop products. Stop by to see for yourself!
Affordable Granite Concepts is a premier granite installation and granite fabrication company with a natural stone and granite showroom in Orlando and in Altamonte Springs. We are committed to providing you with the best quality experience for investing in residential and commercial granite, quartz, and natural stone.